3 NOV 2021 – At the 36th edition of the Inter-Ministerial Management Course (IML) organised by the Netherlands School for Public Governance (NSOB) in The Hague, Louis Meuleman will present and discuss with participants on the concept of metagovernance. […]
27/28 SEP 2021 – The government of Cyprus is developing an SDG Action Plan, with on 27/28 September a workshop with key stakeholders. As governance expert and part of a UNITAR project team, Louis Meuleman will co-moderate and speak at the workshop which takes place in Cyprus.
AUG 2021 – In a column in the PA Times of the American Society for Public Administration, Mauricio Covarrubias concludes that national leadership and coordinated action will remain critical and require metagovernance. “Challenges such as COVID-19 make it necessary to focus attention on a meta-level governance in which governments must demonstrate the ability to join together the multiplicity of organizations and interests to form a coherent policy fabric. (See: X. Wu, M. Ramesh & M. Howlett’s 2015 work, “Policy capacity: A conceptual framework for understanding policy competences and capabilities.” Similarly, Louis Meuleman, Vice Chairman of the United Nations Committee of Experts on Public Administration (CEPA), in his book Metagovernance for Sustainability: A Framework for Implementing the Sustainable Development Goals, argues that complex political challenges require meta-governance based on systems thinking, a comprehensive approach (taking into account all relevant aspects) and also a holistic view. In times where interdependence and global challenges are constantly increasing, the political capacity of central governments will be related to the ability to coordinate a unified national response between different level
UN ENVIRONMENT PROGRAMME (UNEP) (2021): Contribution to a Guidance on the use of SDG indicator 17.14.1 on policy coherence for sustainable development
JUL 2021 – On 22 July 2021, the UN ECOSOC Council approved the nomination by UN Secretary General Mr António Guterres to appoint Louis Meuleman for a 2nd term of 4 years as member of the UN Committee of Experts on Public Administration (CEPA). […]
MAY 2021 – In an Open Access article on Public Administration and Governance (PAG) for the SDGs, Louis Meuleman proposes four priorities to accelerate implementation of the SDGs: 1) making PAG a strategic policy area; 2) starting mission-oriented PAG reform; 3) metagovernance as management & design; 4) policy coherence as mindset. […]
On 28 April 2021, Louis Meuleman moderated a very lively debate on “Lessons learned from the response of public institutions to the pandemic, on the first day of the (virtual) SDG 16 CONFERENCE 2021, in Rome. The four panelists were Sarah Lister (UNDP), Sabine Kuhlmann (Potsdam University), David Steven (UN Foundation) and Juan Manuel Roa (Dyntra). Watch the video recoding here: SDG 16 Conference 2021 Parallel session 1.2 […]
In the framework of the 5th anniversary of the adoption of Agenda 2030, the Central European Initiative, a collaboration of 17 countries, launched the report “Contribution of CEI to UN Agenda 2030 and its implementation in CEI Member States”, made by a Public Strategy for Sustainable Development team with Ingeborg Niestroy (lead), Sally Nicholson and Gaetane Charlier, in cooperation with the CEI-Executive Secretariat. […]
- On 14 July 2021, Louis Meuleman moderated a Voluntary National Review (VNR) Lab on during the UN High Level Political Forum on the SDGs, on governance and policy integration in the context of COVID19.
- On 12 July 2021, Louis Meuleman moderated a panel discussion during the HLPF side event organised by OECD, Italy and other partners, on Getting the SDGs back on track while recovering from the COVID-19 pandemic: Building government capacities for addressing transboundary impacts and global challenges.
- On 3 June 2021, Ingeborg Niestroy gave a keynote presentation at the conference “Dialogue for the Future 2021” for civil society from Eastern Partnership countries. The topic will be “SDGs as a compass for pathways to sustainability, and framework for cooperation of Civil Society Organisations“.
- 18-20 May 2021 – UN HLPF 2021 preparatory Expert Group Meeting (Louis Meuleman participating with focus on SDG 16)
- 28 April 2021 – SDG 16 CONFERENCE 2021, Rome (virtual), parallel session LESSONS FROM THE RESPONSE OF PUBLIC INSTITUTIONS TO THE PANDEMIC (Louis Meuleman moderating). Watch Video recording
- 12-21 April 2021 – 20th Session UN Committee of Experts on Public Administration, New York (virtual) (Louis Meuleman participating as Member & vice chair). Inclusive, effective & resilient public institutions are more important than ever as the world continues to combat #COVID19. The 2021 Session of the UN Committee of Experts on Public Administration, #UNCEPA, starts on 12 April with a series of virtual meetings until 21st April. It will discuss CEPA’s 2021 HLPF input; institutions & VNRs; COVID-19 challenges; the governance principles; public procurement and SDG budgeting; conflict-affected countries. Papers are online. A live webcast is available in 6 languages.
- 25 March 2021 – 2020-21 Executive Training for Policymakers on the 2030 Agenda and the Sustainable Development Goals (Louis Meuleman speaking on SDG 16: Public administration and governance reform)
- 18 March 2021 – Webinar The contribution of SDGs to Global Governance. Institut Barcelona d’Estudis Internacionals (Louis Meuleman Speaking
- 22 Febr 2021 – UN Sustainable Development Transition Forum: Building Back Better and Greener, Korea (virtual)(Louis Meuleman speaking).
- 16 Febr 2021 – UNPOG Side event @ UN Commission for Social Development – Innovating Public Governance , Korea (virtual) (Louis Meuleman speaking)
- 04 Febr 2021 – Online workshop Setting-up of a multi-stakeholder platform on the implementation of SDGs in Greece (Ingeborg Niestroy and Louis Meuleman speaking)
- 04 Febr 2021 – Workshop IML-35 (Dutch School for Public Management)(Louis Meuleman speaking)
- 02 Febr 2021 – Online course Changing Mindsets and Strengthening Governance Capacities for Policy Coherence in the Arab region (Louis Meuleman speaking)
- 27-28 Jan 2021 – Training Teaching silos to dance (European Commission)(Louis Meuleman, Ingeborg Niestroy, Andreas Versmann, Francesca Valentini)(online)
- 14 Dec 2020 – UNDESA Webinar on “Developing institutional capacities in digital transformation for a more inclusive and equitable recovery” (Louis Meuleman speaking)
- 8 Dec 2020 – UNPOG/Korea Institute of Public Administration Forum on “Public Governance & Innovative Partnerships to Address the COVID-19 Pandemic” (Louis Meuleman discussant on innovative governance)
- 24 Nov 2020 – UN CEPA expert group meeting on sustainable public procurement (Louis moderator)(online)
- 23 Nov 2020 – Keynote speech at Annual Forum of United Cities and Local Governments of Africa (UCLG-Africa)(Louis Meuleman) on principles of effective governance for the SDGs (online)
- 19 Nov 2020 – Training/workshop on metagovernance for Dutch public managers (NSOB, Noordwijk)(Louis Meuleman)(online)
- 19 Nov 2020 – Guest lecture on Metagovernance, Leuven University (Louis Meuleman)(online)
- 11 Nov 2020 – Internal presentation on Managing the implementation of the SDGs (European Commission)(Ingeborg Niestroy presenting)(online)
- 6 Nov 2020 – Guest lecture on Metagovernance, Leuven University (Louis Meuleman)(online)
- 3 Nov 2020 – UNPOG Online Training Workshop on Government Innovation for Social Inclusion of Vulnerable Groups (Louis speaking)(online)
29 Sept 2020 – Creative Bureaucracy Festival 2020 (Berlin) – Virtual edition. Louis Meuleman was panel keynote speaker on Teaching Silos to Dance – Sustainability & Public Administration” on Tuesday, 29. September 2020, 14:15 – 15:15, Download speaking points […]
Louis Meuleman and Andreas Versmann jointly presented at the 3rd session of the Online Training Workshop on Advancing Government Innovation and Leveraging Frontier Technologies for Disaster Risk Reduction and Building Resilience, on 1st September 2020. Their ppt presentation is here for download. A video recording of the event is available. The session was organised by UNPOG and UNDRR. […]
Although the High Level Political Forum on the SDGs could, in its digital form, not be the usual ‘marketplace of ideas’, the many virtual sessions were worthwhile and participants were concentrated. On 10 July, Louis Meuleman chaired one of the VNR-Labs. This VNR Lab 10 concentrated on on national institutions for SDG implementation, with speakers from Finland, Costa Rica, Morocco, Nepal and the African Peer Review Mechanism. The session was opened by Elliott Harris, Assistant Secretary-General for Economic Development and Chief Economist. From UN CEPA, Cristina Duarte (former Minister of Finance, Planning and Public Administration of Cabo Verde) participated as discussant. […]